trickski is a collaboration of the two producers and djs yannick labbé and daniel "stoerte" becker as well as mc jack migger a.k.a. fna, who joins them for special events.
they first joined forces about three years ago, even though all members had known each other long before. all of them are from freiburg, the wonderfully warm black forest region of Germany. it was there where they got infected with club music at rainer trüby's monthly "root down" joint.
when they found themselves together again after one by one moving to berlin it was time to start trickski. yannick had just released his first 12" hotbox/gallieni on daniel paul's cabinet label while fna and daniel had figured out that they would rather be on the artist side than on the club side of the night life business.
Having been educated by rainer trüby's famous jazz and disco knowledge, yannick and daniel quickly moved forward towards rougher house and techno sounds. one can hear this evolution in trickski's first releases. while "hormony" kicked off the black label series on compost records as a dirty consense track for the nujazz and the cosmic crowd, "sweat" released on sonar kollektiv, was already heading more into the house and techno field. the greatest surprise and compliment trickski could receive came from detroit. carl craig, their long time idol, selected "sweat" for his fabric 25 compilation and turned it into a small underground hit.
a few remixes later, jazzanova - impressed by the fresh and unique sound of trickski - decided to give them the responsibility for a new club series on their label Sonar Kollektiv. This honor was first given to Dixon who started his own series entitled "innervisions" before and recently got independant with it. However, now it was trickski's turn, and thus, "member of the trick" was born.
yannick and daniel as a&rs and designers of this sub-label signed artists like the somewhat rare and strange leroy and darnell from detroit, movementz from england, with their sexy and classic deep house tune "29calls," and the "skwerl" with his house anthem "all woman" featuring hubert tubbs as a vocalist. trickski of course, releases their own music on MOTT as well. "at les," a new and pimped up cover version of carl craigs classic techno tune, was featured on MOTT02 next to "grace," a slomo dark scifi soundtrack, that could feature a colonel kurtz - grace jones cooperation. the latest mott release is by the hot pic of the year "future beat investigators" from finland. the "discomedusa" (all i want / lotus) is already getting major feedback. in may trickski's MOTT07 "powerhorse" - including a follow up for "grace" and a rollercoaster ride called "drakkar" - will be their last release before compiling and mixing the "member of the trick" cd that can be expected in fall.
trickskis dj sets are always fun! they see the house / techno field in a broad context and move in a triangle between deep and more jacking house to techno and more rocking disco and cosmic tunes. if you are only interested in a straight night of minimal techno you are wrong booking trickski. but you can exspect surprises and sweat all over!
trickski djs at clubs like, cookies and weekend (berlin) fabric, the end and bar54 (london) club 11 (amsterdam) culture box (copenhagen) zukunft (zurich), übel & gefährlich (hamburg) rollerboys (stockholm), dada (tel aviv) or root down (freiburg)
and many more...
- Yannick L.: Gallieni/Hotbox 12“ on Cabinet Records
- Trickski „Hormony“ – Compost Black Label Series 01
- Trickski Selection for “I like it! Vol. 2“ on Compost Records
- Trickski „Sweat/Sunshine Fu*k 12“ feat King Kapisi on Sonarkollektiv
- Trickski „The Bat“ 12“ on MOTT02 / Sonar Kollektiv
- Trickski „Maingirl“ (exclusive track for Broadcasting Vol. 2 compilation)
- Trickski „Powerhorse“ 12“ on MOTT07 / Sonar Kollektiv
- Trickski & Hans Blitz „Move Me“ (exclusive Track for MOTT compilation)
- Trickski „Paperbitch“ (exclusive track for MOTT compilation)
- Slope feat. Capital A & Clara Hill: Citysteps, Trickski Mix by Yannick L.
- Forss „Journeyman“, Trickski Interpretation on Minotaur (Japan) and MOTT compilation
- Mustang „10.000 leagues deeper“ Trickski’s Weather Report Mix, Compost Records
- Studio R: Clapz feat. Mocky, Trickski Remix on Sonarkollektiv
- 12th Floor „Salsa 313“, Trickskis Windy Wine Remix (Raw Fusion)
- Movementz „29 Calls“, Trickski Remix (Member of the trick)
- Martin Solveig & Jay Sebag: „Rejection“, Trickski Mixes (Mixturestereo & Defected Records)
- Jamie Lloyd: „You and I“, Trickski Remix (Future Classic)
LICENSINGS (SO FAR):
- „Hormony“: I Like it, Vol.2, Compost Records
-„Sweat“: Fabric 25, Carl Craig (CD), Fabric London
- „Sweat (instrumental version)“: Body Language Vol.2, get Physical
- „Sunshine Fu*k“: Sonar Kollektiv 4, Sonar Kollektiv
- „Sunshine Fu*k“: Fabric 26, Global Communication, Fabric London
- „Sunshine Fu*k“: Get Lost (2x CD), Crosstown Rebels
- Forss „Journeyman“ (Trickski Remix): Liedgut (CD), Minotaur, JP
- „Grace“: IDJ Collection Vol.1, Germany, IDJ Magazine
01: Leroy & Darnell: „Get rich or try dying“ EP
02: Trickski: „The Bat“ 12“
03: Movementz: „The Locust“ 12“
04: Skwerl feat. Hubert Tubbs: „The flying Squirrel“ 12“
05: Yannick Labbé: „Le coq sportif“ 12“
06: F.B.I.: „Disco Medusa“ 12“
07: Trickski: „Powerhorse“ 12“
08: Solomun: „Koboldmaki“ 12“
MOTT Labelcompilation featuring numbers 02, 04, 05, 06, 07 & 08 in special edited versions + exclusive tracks by Solomun, Trickski, Leroy & Darnell and Schmutzig de Mutzig. (tbr: Aug. 28th, 2007).